Posted Jun 26, 2018
Hotel Development Attorney
Job Number R147611
Hotel Brand: IHG Corporate
North America » United States » Georgia » Atlanta
When you’re a part of IHG, you’re more than your job title. If you’re anything like Isabella you’re a music lover and an avid soccer player too. And that’s what we love – the individual talents, interests and dreams that make you who you are.
Join the Business Reputation & Responsibility Legal team at IHG and we won’t expect you to conform to any stereotype – because we know that a team with different perspectives and passions can only make us stronger.
What you will need is ambition, talent and some key skills. For this vital role, under the guidance of the Associate General Counsel, we’re looking for someone who will be responsible for hotel development in the Americas, and will provide legal counsel, support and representation of the company in hotel development matters, including hotel management agreements, real estate, joint ventures, financing, and other related matters. A background in hotel development is preferred. Substantial hands on specialty experience with commercial real estate will be required. Areas of pertinent experience include real estate acquisitions/dispositions, leasing, financing, construction and equity placement.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities – (Key Activities)
● Conduct, supervise, and manage hotel development transactions and other matters in the Americas region, utilizing and directing outside resources as appropriate.
● Utilize outside counsel and other external resources as appropriate to ensure the Company is represented in a cost efficient and effective manner in hotel development matters. Develop strategic direction and alternatives on legal matters.
● Direct and oversee internal and external team members to ensure performance is measured and communicated, administrative matters are completed timely, internal and external budgets are developed, monitored and met, and profit and loss statements and other tracking tools are reviewed and utilized to measure monthly performance.
● Draft, negotiate and review/modify legal documents to meet Company standards/objectives.
● Counsel department or division management on relevant legal issues. Develop and maintain a good working relationship in all client areas. Assist management in evaluating the legal impact of various corporate or department strategies, determining alternatives based on business and legal considerations and the relevant environment.
● Represent and support department or division management in dealings with external parties.
● Coordinate and work with other areas of Legal Division on related matters to ensure efficient resolution of issues.
● Train and educate employees on germane legal matters as preventive legal measures.
● Manage and work with outside counsel and counsel for outside parties as appropriate to ensure Company is represented fairly.
● If applicable, coach and develop team members; hire, fire, assesses, discipline, document performance, recommend salary and classification changes. Act as advisor to staff to help meet established schedules and/or resolve technical or operational problems.
Bachelor's Degree and a Juris Doctor Degree. Member of the Georgia State Bar in good standing or other state, with subsequent membership of the Georgia Bar.
4 to 7 years’ progressive work-related experience in the practice of law with expertise in commercial real estate development. Hands on experience structuring, negotiating and leading transactions.
Technical Skills and Knowledge –
● Substantive experience in commercial real estate development.
● Demonstrated analytical, research, and presentation skills, with ability to speak extemporaneously.
● Demonstrated ability to draft a variety of legal documents.
● Demonstrated project management experience in organizing, planning and executing large-scale projects from conception through implementation.
● Demonstrated experience in leading, advising and developing people.
● Demonstrated effective verbal and written communication skills for the purpose of providing information to clients, outside counsel, vendors and other third parties, senior management and staff.
Decision making responsibilities (Key Decision Rights)
● This position has significant impact on the structuring and negotiation of hotel development transactions.
● This position makes independent judgments and decisions which directly affect the legal actions of the supervisory and management staff of the Company. Erroneous decisions or recommendations could result in increased risk of, or actual financial exposure of the Company, or delays and/or modification to projects and/or operations causing a substantial expenditure of time, human resources or funds.
Internal Key Relationships
● Department or Region/Division Management: Provide proactive legal guidance and support on pending legal matters and advice on course of action for department/division legal issues.
● Company’s line supervisors: Report to and consult with the Company’s line supervisors as warranted, keeping supervisory and management staff informed on activities, changes to laws or regulations, and matters of legal significance as appropriate.
External Key Relationships
● Outside law firms: Manage and work with to ensure proper cost-effective resolution of legal disputes to achieve business objectives.
● Franchisees/Other hotel owners: Draft appropriate documentation and assist in resolving disputes.
● Government officials and agencies: Ensure that Company is in compliance with rules and regulations.
● Work is performed in a normal office environment.
● Must be capable of performing light travel (generally less than 20-25% of the time).
In return for your hard work, you can look forward to a highly competitive salary and benefits package – including 401k, tuition reimbursement, adoption assistance, and discounts at our hotels. What’s more, because your career will be as unique as you are, we’ll give you all the tailored support you need to make a great start, be involved and grow.
Must have the legal right to work in this country
So whoever you are, whatever you love doing, bring your passion to IHG and we’ll make sure you’ll have room to be yourself.
IHG is an equal opportunity employer: Minorities/Females/Disabled/Veterans